Re: Re: Re: mouthpice shank modifier

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by I Agree. on February 02, 2004 at 23:57:46:

In Reply to: Re: Re: mouthpice shank modifier posted by ya ijiot !... on February 02, 2004 at 22:35:29:

Tim to RANT. "RRRRRAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNDT!" Sorry. Ahem...

This is just one of the many ways we, as tuba players, will not advance as a "species". There are lots of ways to solve a problem, but usually only one or two ways to do a the job well.
I applaud the humor of the picture of the file, but unless the person using that tool knows what the #&** they are doing with it, the results could be the loss of the mouthpiece...or you can only use it on that one horn that you shaved the shank down for, AND what if that horn/mouthpiece combo doesn't work as well as you thought it would with the shank shaved down? Then what?

Another consideration: how far do you shave it down? "Oh, I think we should shave it down more"...and/or..."Whoops, I/you went TOO FAR! [mouthpiece is now useless]"

So here's my real suggestion. BUY a mouthpiece that is the same as the one you like, and get a PROFESSIONAL mouthpiece person to modify it to work with the horn in question.

If you like, you can email me for info on professional mouthpiece makers in your area.
I have worked with three of the best, but know others that are quite good, as well.

ranting over.

Follow Ups: