Re: ArmyBand Conference Ideas?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 02, 2004 at 14:02:20:

In Reply to: ArmyBand Conference Ideas? posted by JayW on February 01, 2004 at 18:02:19:

I was commuting from the hinterland and didn't make the early morning sessions, unfortunately.

The conference was indeed excellent. Thursday's attendance seemed quite low, and I was afraid that our local weather had scared too many people away. But by Friday, it was crowded as ever.

It was wonderful to see a couple of career orchestral tuba players perform at the conference. They brought a style of musicianship that I think we could stand to hear more often. Dave Bragunier played the Strauss Horn Concerto on an Eb Kruspe that was made when Strauss was still a young composer, and though it was obvious that he was having to exercise considerable leadership over it, his musicianship "shown clear".

Tim Northcutt played the Broughton with energy and drive, and at a tempo I'd never imagined. And it was wonderful to hear it with a real orchestra, instead of the usual piano accompaniment. (Hint for a future year: Let's get someone to play the Gregson on the Friday orchestra program. The orchestra accompaniment is remarkable.) Having the Army Orchestra available for a tuba conference is a huge bonus.

The exhibit was excellent, too. I always see something I like, and the comparisons I was able to make wouldn't have been possible even at one of the superstores.

The thing I like the most is the egalitarian nature of the conference. I wish my own profession could be so open. Gene's master class was an example: He presented a subject that is equally important to players of all ability levels. I didn't notice anybody not paying attention.

Rick "lucky to live nearby" Denney

Follow Ups: