Re: Wilson 3050 (AT) Dillons

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim on March 01, 2003 at 21:57:02:

In Reply to: Wilson 3050 (AT) Dillons posted by Jason on February 28, 2003 at 23:05:26:

Sorry to get off the subject a little but U have a question for anyone that knows. I just bought a new 3050 and I noticed Matt has the bore size listed in the ad for the used one at .748and .787 for the 4th valve. I wonder if he actually measured the bore because I have heard the Willson specs are the outer diameter of the tube which not how bore is normally measured. Are .748 and .787 the actual bore for this horn and I also wonder the actual bore for the 5th valve because the Willson specs for the horn are .800 4th valve .830 5th valve .870. I am assuming if Matts bore listings are right then they might the same specs on a PT horn I once owned with the advertised graduated bore of .748-.827 for the 5th valve. Has anyone else measured theirs?

I would guess that numbers and bore sizes really don't matter not to me anyway. I love the way my Willson CC and Eb play but it would be nice just to know the actual bore size for anyone interested.

Sorry I can't give you are good answer about the horn at Dillon's because I have not played that one but I did play three when I picked mine out and I also played one about 2 years ago when I bought my Eb and I think they are all pretty consistent. I did not find many differences at all. When I bought mine I played two piston horns and one rotor one. The rotor one was more expensive and did not appeal to me because of the ergonomics of it. The piston horns were both very close I just found that one had an easier upper register in the register where you would probably use a smaller horn to play up there anyway. The upper G and up to my limits were easier for me to hit on the one I chose. They were other wise pretty much identical in the way they played.

Good luck,

Jim

Follow Ups: