Re: Mister Rogers - r.i.p.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Phil Lewis on February 28, 2003 at 18:52:46:

In Reply to: Mister Rogers - r.i.p. posted by Charles D. Ortega on February 28, 2003 at 03:08:20:

The first year of my insanity, when I decided to become a school principal, I had a first grade teacher in my building who taught me a lesson about Mr. Rogers. One Friday afternoon, as she was leaving the building, she off handedly commented that she was going to pick up her son from day care and go home and "mellow out with Fred, my son, and a bottle of sangria." I was shocked, because I knew her husband's name was NOT Fred. When I quizzed her about this, she laughed and told me the Fred she was referring to was Mr. Roger's Neighborhood. We both had a good laugh over that. I asked why she didn't watch Sesame Street or some other kid's show. She quickly informed me that any other show was just "too busy!" Fred, on the other hand, was mellow and laid back and just right on a Friday afternoon. Every now and then, I think about that conversation and the effect this gentle man had on all of us. I am old enough that I did not grow up watching his show, but I watched along with both of my sons as they were growing up. That teacher was right. Fred was mellow, in more ways than one. I left school administration several years ago and have come to appreciate people like him more as I get older. I also think kids today need Fred Rogers, more than ever before, or someone like him. As we sit on the brink of war, we need a calm voice in the wilderness to steady our nerves and remind us life can still be beuatiful.
Rest In Peace, Fred. You will be missed.
Phil Lewis

Follow Ups: