Re: Re: Re: Secret to good time??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on February 28, 2003 at 15:17:44:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Secret to good time?? posted by Matt G on February 28, 2003 at 14:20:53:

Matt G. also makes some very good points. Using subdivision is quite helpful in developing the "feel." The slower the tempo is, the more important using subdivision becomes. And using a Dr. Beat or McAdams Tuner/Metronome can be extremely beneficial.

As for his comments on chord analysis and listening to recordings, I try to play the piece in my head first. I tend to get better at this the more I try it. Then following it up with listening to a good recording helps to cement, and where necessary patch, what I hear in my head. It also allows me to know someone else's interpretation. These provide a good jumping off point for doing one's own interpretation.

As far as the "groove" of the music is concerned, I think this is most often thought to be primarily for jazz. Jazz people generally adhere to each piece having a groove, the correct tempo which keeps the proper feel of the music. I would add that I believe this is true for most music. Most music will find a place where it simply flows the best--its groove. Sometimes with careful listening, one can determine that a performance at a concert or on a CD was done just a little too fast or a little too slow. Had that minor adjustment been made, the music would have felt much differently. At first this might sound like a bunch of BS, but I personally don't think so.

Lastly, Matt mentions play in different types of ensembles. I think this is helpful in more ways than just keeping good time. It helps develop the total musician.

Thanks again, Matt, for your comments.

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters

Follow Ups: