Re: Re: Just bought a mixer..could use some tips

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jeff B on February 28, 2003 at 13:07:45:

In Reply to: Re: Just bought a mixer..could use some tips posted by Rick Denney on February 28, 2003 at 11:19:42:

Okay, lemme just clarify here, the mixer has an XLR input with a preamp on it. It also has a line in input that has no amplification. My microphone has an 1/8" jack and I went to radio shack and bought a 1/4" mono adaptor and an XLR adaptor. If I plug my mic in the line in input, I'm going to get the same results as plugging it into the line in on my minidisc, too quiet, when I increase volume or gain, it gets that horrid hiss.

The microphone input on my minidisc recorder has no input level settings. That was my mistake in purchasing this model, I had no clue about input levels and preamps and all that stuff...Now that I'm trying to make an audition CD, it's all relevant!

I really don't think I'm overloading the microphone, at least I hope not! I just haven't had a chance to set all this equipment up in a big room, my office at home doesn't have the greatest of acoustics.

The cool thing about this mixer is it has a visual indicator of how loud I'm playing, so to speak...From what you've said, I need to basically get my distance and then let out a loud note and it shuoldn't go higher than 0db?

I appreciate all your help and the other comments above. My plan is to spend this evening in a larger room and hopefully I'll have better results than before. I spent about 2.5 hours on a Kopprasch trying to get everything to sound good and not play so loud that everything was clipped. With the mic about 25 feet away, a blanket on top of it, and I was playing quietly on my F it's still not a great recording. Let's hope the mixer saves the day!

Jeff

Follow Ups: