Re: A little nervous can anyone give advice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Todd S. Malicoate on February 28, 2003 at 00:42:48:

In Reply to: A little nervous can anyone give advice posted by Mark L. on February 27, 2003 at 23:08:07:

If you want to lighten the mood, you could remind Pat of a story from our Interlochen days - one I doubt he even remembers. It was the summer of 1985 - Pat was the tubist in the World Youth Symphony Orchestra (I was playing string bass in those days) – and we were rehearsing Gunther Schuller's "Seven Studies on Themes of Paul Klee" with the composer on the podium.

Now, Gunther Shuller was an imposing figure - a quite large and loud man who was extremely particular about his own music. I remember a certain passage in the tuba part (I can't pin down which movement it was) where the player must make an entrance very softly (pp?) while muted on a middle C. Difficult at best even for the most seasoned professional, much less an aspiring high school student.

Pat handled the situation very well, especially since Shuller was being a jerk about the whole thing anyway. But I'll bet he was nervous about that entrance in the concert that particular Sunday afternoon. It would be interesting to ask if he ever played that piece again, or ran into Gunther Schuller.

The point being - if even Pat Sheridan was nervous about his playing at that stage in his career, you shouldn't feel bad about it yourself. Relax and enjoy the experience - and take pride in the fact that you've got the guts to do it!

Follow Ups: