Re: Re: Re: BBb vs. CC for music major

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve W on February 27, 2003 at 22:33:04:

In Reply to: Re: Re: BBb vs. CC for music major posted by Rick Denney on February 27, 2003 at 17:36:29:

Rick, I was "forced" to switched to CC when I was a frosh, even thought I played a lot my first few weeks with the 5th valve pushed down. It took a while because I was playing a BBb souzie in MB. If I could of played CC for two weeks exclusively, it would of been easier.

During my 3rd year, I bought a Yamaha Eb to play in quintet and solos. I still have it 19 years later. Then my school bought a PT10 F, and my teacher "forced" me to play F for half a semester. There was no way I was going to give up my Eb. Now through the miracle of 20/20 hindsight (and I just bought a MW F) I know why he "forced" me to learn CC and F and Eb, to become familiar with the different keys of the tubas. I think it's in the same train of thought as "forcing" trumpet and horn players to transpose, to learn the experience and they're going to need it to play a lot of older music. Does a band director need to know how to transpose on trumpet to play that Anne McGinty piece in a middle school band? No. But to learn how to play your instrument the best you can and learn everything you can as a music ed major will help you in the long run. I have yet had a student learn CC, F, or Eb, but if they wanted to: been there- done that. I can assist the student better with the nuances of each horn because I'm familiar with them.

Now the original question, no, a music ed major doesn't have to switch to CC, but he should be familiar with it and the other tubas. He can learn to play just as musically playing his legato studies on a Mirafone 191 as he could on a MW2000. I do think it is up to the teacher with the student's input. What is best for the student should be priority.

Follow Ups: