Re: Silver vs. Laquer

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rex Roeges on February 27, 2003 at 14:53:52:

In Reply to: Silver vs. Laquer posted by Tyler's Dad on February 26, 2003 at 12:14:32:

Tyler's Dad-
You've ignited a very interesting thread. Here are my 2 cents:

Silver or lacquer or bare brass is irrelevant.
BBb or CC or Eb is irrelevant (F horns are nice, but not as an only horn in North America). I like all of them and I think that anyone who says one is inherently better than another needs to get more fiber in their diet (bring them flames on!).

Take Tyler to play as many horns as possible and don't buy one until he falls in love with it. The horn that most closely matches his ideal (sound, intonation, ergonomics, appearance, "feel", etc.) will be the one he falls in love with. Buy that one, but have him play them all first. He may be surprised, I recently (2000)was (I made the jump from BBb to CC and I'm not a pro or a student and I wasn't planning to switch until I picked up a Neptune for the first time.). Having said that, I selected a horn 20+ years ago the same way and I still like that choice (used BBb MW 20), and I still have that horn.

BTW - I feel comfortable supporting any size ensemble (trio to Community Band to Sym. Orch), and have done so, with my VMI Neptune, just don't ask me to march with it. That's what Conn 20K's are for.

Your search is one of the most fun things to do! You and Tyler enjoy the heck out of it!
Best regards, Rex

Follow Ups: