Re: Re: Re: BB flat slide for Mirafone 186 CC Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JoeS on February 27, 2003 at 00:40:30:

In Reply to: Re: Re: BB flat slide for Mirafone 186 CC Tuba posted by Bryant Parker on February 27, 2003 at 00:27:05:

I MADE one of those for a guy about twenty years ago. I told him that it probably wouldn't fit his tuba very well without me having his tuba in my shop. He said "Make it for me anyway. I'm sure it will be fine." Me being a 24-year-old broke guy, I "made it for him anyway". I built it to fit a 186CC that was generously available to use as an 'assembly jig' here in Memphis. I didn't really think much of how it played, though it did work...

...Of course, he complained that it didn't fit his tuba.

This follows along the same lines as those Bach Stradivarius C trumpets (you occasionally see on ebay, etc.) that also come with an auxillary Bb slide. They always sell for about $150 more than the plain ol' C trumpets, but aren't good Bb's...

About the only successful two-key brass instruments (and not always these, buy any means) are the D-Eb trumpets.

I think the Getzen/Canadian Brass CC/BBb tuba sort of reinforces my generalization.

Final comment: I guess I'd have to say that a Miraphone 186CC with a BBb conversion slide still plays better than a YBB-321... plenty good for a school, if that's the intended purpose.

Follow Ups: