Re: Silver vs. Laquer

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Hiram Diaz on February 26, 2003 at 23:20:50:

In Reply to: Silver vs. Laquer posted by Tyler's Dad on February 26, 2003 at 12:14:32:

I guess I have alot of say in this in that I just switched horns from silver to laquer, euphoniums if it makes a difference. MY experience is that the laquered instruments have a darker tone quality, and that silver instruments have a lighter/brighter tone quality. Having discussed this topic on various a lesson with my private instructor,Jay Bertolet, we touched based on the idea of the finish of the instrument not really having a real impact on players with strong concepts of sound, and also the concept of sound that the player would like.

IF your son would like a lighter sound, in my experience, get him a silver horn.
IF your son would like a darker, more orchestral boomy sound, in my experience, get him a laquered horn.

NOW, these opinions are based on the fact that being young having these types of horns would definetely help in the process of getting the "sound" you want. It helped me, along with listening to great recordings. But thats my insignificant 2 cents.

Hiram Diaz

Follow Ups: