Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Silver vs. Laquer

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 26, 2003 at 17:51:58:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Silver vs. Laquer posted by Doobie on February 26, 2003 at 17:18:42:

There's no need to escalate the rhetoric.

Yes, I did read the original post. I also played tuba in college, while I was studying a technical subject at a college with no music school. Lots of people take instruments to college who don't study music. You inferred a little broadly, it seemed to me, which is why I responded. Perhaps I was wrong. In any case, the original poster has seen both points of view and can judge for himself. At least I qualified my statement.

That qualification remains: Any school kid with the potential to study tuba with professional intentions should be in the current care of a top teacher and not this forum. The switch to a CC tuba is no big deal for a pro wannabe, but it is drastic for someone with less talent headroom and could easily "cool his love for the tuba" if he is not on that track. The need for teacher consultation is more important than the relative merits of this tuba or that one, and if the student isn't good enough to warrant that sort of teacher, he doesn't need to consider a CC.

I have a niece who has just passed another audition for a college music program. She studies with high-quality teacher and drives 90 miles to do it, so I've been fairly close to a similar situation. Unfortunately, her parents cannot begin to afford a pro-grade bassoon for her.

Rick "who is getting snowed on--again--and is quite chilled, thank you" Denney

Follow Ups: