Re: Re: Looking for a BBflat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on February 26, 2003 at 16:59:13:

In Reply to: Re: Looking for a BBflat posted by Matt G on February 25, 2003 at 16:02:34:

Of the horns listed in other posts, I like the VMI, King, and the Miraphone the best. The Conn 5J may be a little small. In my opinion, the Jupiter qualifies as a decent buy, but as a mediocre tuba. Ordinarily I would say you can take info that Rick Denney has posted all the way to the bank. I fall a little short in my endorsement of his opinion concerning the Jupiter.

As for the Jupiter instruments, I have this experience with them. I tried the new Jupiter(whatever the model # is) for about 15 minutes at a conference. It isn't bad, but it did nothing to make me want to play it. The school where I teach owns a set of Jupiter sousaphones. I absolutely despise them. They play stuffy and out of tune. No wonder my tuba players can't play in tune with them. I can't either. By the way, I did not purchase them.

This bulletin board is a great place to get opinions. If you know who to listen to, you can get some great direction. I would echo the idea of checking with guys like Matt, etc. They really know their stuff and they want you to be happy with your purchase.

Best wishes to both you and your son. May he have a lifetime of enjoyment playing tuba.

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters

Follow Ups: