Re: Silver vs. Laquer

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on February 26, 2003 at 13:27:03:

In Reply to: Silver vs. Laquer posted by Tyler's Dad on February 26, 2003 at 12:14:32:

I am willing to throw in my 2 bits for the silver vs. lacquer issue.

I am a reformed trumpet player and I have worked at a repair/retail shop as a instrument "prepper" and did some minor repair work.

When students came in for trumpets, they all want silver, initially, because it looks better and on trumpets, it isn't that much more of an option. However, it has been reported to me from a person who worked in the Selmer (Bach), UMI (King/Conn), and Kanstul factories, that not as much care is taken in the finishing process as a lacquer horn. Solder isn't cleaned up as well, joints aren't fitted as well, the metal isn't cleaned up as much either. When we relayed that to the potential customers, and they played the horns without predjudice, they very often would pick a lacquer horn based on its own merits.

This doesn't neccesarily translate over completely to Tubas, but it might. At least with clear lacquer, you can inspect the ferrules and joints of the instrument much better. Based on that, I normally end up with lacquer horns. I have owned silver tubas in the past, but I believe that silver had little to do in the process. However, both were Yamahas and their fit/finish quality is more consistent across the lines.

If you have the chance to go horn shopping at a "tuba center" you might want to explore all options. The best horn for your son may be the raw brass, rotary valve 5/4 horn the shop has. Equate picking a tuba as to picking a spouse. The best looker might not be the best performer/best fit/best personality for you. Give 'em all a chance.

Matt G

Follow Ups: