Re: Re: Re: What are your favorite band pieces?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on February 26, 2003 at 13:17:16:

In Reply to: Re: Re: What are your favorite band pieces? posted by Rick Denney on February 26, 2003 at 12:13:42:

I believe one aspect of great band pieces vs. great orchestral pieces has to do with the basic direction composers are working toward. Today, in order for a band piece to be a commercial success, it must consider what band will be performing(and purchasing) it. The vast majority of potential customers are public school bands, high school and middle school, etc. Composers who wish to have things published must take into account the musical maturity level of the players in those bands. That is another simple fact in the business. Music for college bands have a more limited number of potential purchasers. Cmmunity bands and professional bands are an even more limited market.

On a side note to that, this in part explains why the tuba parts are not consistently very well-written. A composer or arranger who writes a challenging part risks the piece being rejected by band directors who take one look at the part and must dismiss it as not playable by their ensemble. This can be due to the fact they do not have tuba players up to the task, or they may not have any tuba players at all. Also, publishers are often doubling parts in various low brass or low woodwind sections in order to make certain someone in each band would be able to perform it. This tends to make the work more attractive to the band directors.

I know I find those occasions when I, or we the tuba section, are left to cover a part all by my/ourselves. These are usually wonderful occasion since, all too often, other sections have been written to cover it with us. I really enjoy being left to make it happen all by myself. If it is to be done well or not is left entirely to me.

I'm afraid there are many reasons for this state of affairs. Some directors start poor quality people on tuba thinking it to be a waste of good talent to put someone with great potential on tuba. Sometimes we as tuba players perpetuate the problem when we do not take the proper care to play the instrument at the highest level possible. Most of you reading these post are not of that ilk. Even if your ability level is high, however, if you ever just honk away without regard to the musical demands, you are adding to the problem. Let's face it: it is extremely important to put our "best face" on our instrument at every possible occasion.

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters

Follow Ups: