Re: Small F tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tubajake on February 25, 2003 at 01:30:34:

In Reply to: Small F tubas posted by Opinions please on February 24, 2003 at 21:58:06:

I can't comment on either horn, but I will say that the pistons TEND TO BE much quieter, easier to maintain (although you do have to do maintainance work more often), and (best of all) faster. I remember not too long ago seeing a very fine tubist at Chapman University perform the Capriccio for tuba by William Presser. He used a 5 rotary valve miraphone CC (I'm not well versed in the miraphone model #'s so I won't try to guess what it was). The solo was too late in the program so he was tired and his mid-upper registers suffered in places, but what I noticed most of all was that the fast moving lines were, at best, muddy. Now, the group had just come back from a tour of Cali, so I realize that everybody was pretty beat, but I really think that a piston horn would have made a big difference in the clarity of a lot of that piece.
How does Jay put it? My opinion for what it's worth (although I would bet that his is worth a bit more than mine).

Follow Ups: