Re: Re: Tanglewood....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andy on February 24, 2003 at 14:31:59:

In Reply to: Re: Tanglewood.... posted by in the know on February 22, 2003 at 15:37:28:

Since extending a fellowship for a third year has apparently happened before, this is not precident setting. Presumably, the audition committee felt that none of the auditionees was qualified, which is their perogative.

Instead of complaining, my suggestion is that those who feel slighted should take a long look in the mirror and objectively consider the quality of their playing. If you want to win the position, you must get to the point where your playing is at the highest possible level, not just better than the other auditionees.

Also, as Warren Deck once said at a master class I attended, the way to win an audition is to realistically figure out what you don't do well, and then fix it!

Most of us fall into the trap of only working on our strong points, and never get around to improving our weaknesses. My bet is that Messrs. McCausland and Roylance, to name a couple of recent success stories, have worked long and hard to make former weak points into strengths, and that's why they are playing at Tanglewood and in the BSO.

Follow Ups: