Re: The Ultimate Tuba gig.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Keith C. on February 21, 2003 at 10:12:12:

In Reply to: The Ultimate Tuba gig. posted by Keith C. on February 20, 2003 at 12:23:42:

I am going to reply to my own posting (nothing says I can't).

When I considered the question about the "ultimate gig" I was really thinking about the pro-tuba position that a new performance major might be striving for. In any industry or business there is usually a position, firm or organization that is considered "best in class". New MBA grads might shoot for the Chief Marketing Officer at
P&G, a baseball player targets the Yankees, a Tubist might look towards the BSO, an engineer might aspire to design the next space craft to Mars.

Without the goal in sight, few realize the dream.

Myself, I returned to playing after a 25 year hiatus. I bought my first horn in 1999 and started playing with several community groups. I really enjoyed it and strived only to make a decent sound, hit most of the notes on time and not be asked by the conductor to vacate my seat. My real goal, or aspiration, was to play with a decent community group (band or orchestra, didn't matter), one where the musicians care about the sound and the performance. This was MY ultimate gig. For a mature recreational player this was enough. Well, this past Christmas season, I found my self in a new tux, on stage with 45 dedicated amateur musicans all making great sounds, for an audience that actually paid to be there. I had reached my ultimate goal...for now.

So, I guess that ultimate gig could be anything you set your sights on, be it pro or amateur. Getting there is half the fun.

Just my two cents, for what it's worth.

Follow Ups: