Re: Re: Re: Re: 8va heros

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tony on February 20, 2003 at 23:50:03:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: 8va heros posted by JS on February 20, 2003 at 23:34:20:

Man, you guys get on these tangents. Where do you think we get these octave dropping tendencies and ideas? Try the Marine Band, and any of those fine DC bands. Eternal Father by Claude Smith...is an interesting story. Smith was conducting the Navy Band when he completed it for them, and Marty Erickson was messin around, droppin octaves, and Smith liked it, so he asked Marty how to get it all the time. Marty told him how to write it for 8vb where possible. We can blame Marty for all tuba players desires to drop octaves. He started it. Simple fact...sometimes stuff does sound better when you drop the octave. If you dont like it, dont do it. There are a lot of people out there that do like it. if a conductor doesnt want it, then they will say so. I played under Bob Reynolds one time, and he nabbed someone droppin(wasn't me that time) and he said not to do it. It ended there, as he was the boss. I direct a Brass band, and I cut the tuba droppings sometimes...but I also let some stay because it sounds great. Purists piss me off. get over yourselves.

Tim Byrum-you have anything to add to this? hahahahha its not like we have played entire concerts down the octave when no one was watcing.

Follow Ups: