Re: rock concerts vs. symphony concerts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony on February 20, 2003 at 20:14:16:

In Reply to: rock concerts vs. symphony concerts posted by observer on February 17, 2003 at 13:16:28:

I don't particularly agree... probably because the only "smoke and mirrors" I've seen used by my favourite rock acts were "their incredible talent". I don't think I've ever heard a recording of Victor Wooten, Phish, STS9, Medeski Martin and Wood(whose horn section included Howard Johnson on a recent tour), Bela Fleck/Flecktones, or String Cheese Incident that even comes close to what they do in their live shows. I'd say the same thing about orchestral music. To me, music is meant to be heard live- period. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with owning 12 recordings of Pictures at an Exhibition- but if you don't go see it live, you're REALLY missing out.. but I digress.

No-talent rock bands will sound like crap live, yes... but so will no-talent orchestras! I guess the factor here is that the no-talent rock bands are much more successful, and therefore much more visible than the no-talent orchestras.

Follow Ups: