Re: Re: SAPS host "WORLD SOUSAPHONE COMPETION"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on February 20, 2003 at 16:42:41:

In Reply to: Re: SAPS host "WORLD SOUSAPHONE COMPETION" posted by I wonder on February 20, 2003 at 03:49:00:

I don't particularly enjoy playing sousaphones, and I do play a CC tuba. Does this automatically qualify me to be called a snob? I don't think so. I hope all this "World Sousaphone Competition" is real. It sounds like great fun.

And just for the record, I think a sousaphone is a good instrument for marching. I just don't care to march anymore. Having 12 yrs. of marching experience myself, and having been a marching band director for most of my adult life, I really have no further desire to do this. Enough is enough. It is now one of the things I must do to bring home a paycheck and to be allowed to conduct a concert band. I recognize its importance in the community from a PR standpoint, but once again, I believe I have had enough of it.

Also, I realize a sousaphone is a handy way to play some gigs which require one to stand. As a member of The TubaMeisters, I am accustomed to playing gigs while standing. I accomplish this with the assistance of a strap. It works fine for me with me Miraphone 186. I suppose I could do the same thing with a sousaphone, however I like my tuba better.

So finally, playing a CC tuba doesn't make me better than anyone. It doesn't make anyone better than anyone else. Each player needs to find the instrument they are most comfortable with, and then seek to play the most musical tuba they are able to produce. Lastly, they should seek to enjoy themselves. And if people can't laugh about a lot of things in life, they are going to find life to be boring at best, and rather unhappy at worst.

Best wishes to those SAPS.

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters

Follow Ups: