Re: Concept of Sound

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on February 19, 2003 at 19:42:35:

In Reply to: Concept of Sound posted by Rick on February 19, 2003 at 14:11:57:

Portrait of an Artist - Arnold Jacobs
Romantic ???? - Floyd Cooley
anything with Pavarati in a live opera setting, not excerpts
Dennis Brain
Chicago Pro Musica (All the players sound awesome)
Reiner Chicago Symphony recordings (especially listen to Adolph Herseth and follow score)
Gail Williams
take a lesson with an accomplished Jacobs student and listen
live concerts with pinacle soloists like Yo-Yo Ma or Cecilia Bertolet
Rostapovich
Michael Lind (greatest commercial tuba solo recordings available today, IMO)
Horovitz (my god, I never knew the piano could have so many different timbres sound from the same keys until I listened to him. i am yet to hear a musician with such clearity and ease of communication. a genius.)
record yourself and you will get an impartial out front prospective of your sound

proactivelly work on your sound and musical interpretation everyday for an extended period for weeks on end. remember that there is no one concept of a good sound. work for a concept of sounds instead of a concept of sound. i hear many people who have a sound which is good, but is inflexible. be willing to control your sound colors to do things that you may not always agree with. like a great actor, you will not always get roles which match up with your personal preference or personality. convince the listener of your deep conviction for what is being communicated to them through you.

allow yourself to experiment, but use the recorder to evaluate the results after the fact.

Follow Ups: