Scored Rotor Casings?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marty Neilan on February 13, 2003 at 00:26:07:

Well, I just sold my Holton TR-181 and got a Getzen 1062 bass trombone. I wanted a horn with a darker sound and a higher threshold before breaking up for orchestral and wind ensemble use but still enough color for big band. The sound of the horn is incredible, BUT the rotors are another story...
When I first go the horn, they barely worked. After several rounds of cleaning, lubing, and very mild lapping on one of the spindles, the now work fine. However, I am concerned because the inside of one of the rotors casings has noticeable score marks between the ports. They are not deep enough to put your fingernail in, but they are obvious. This horn is 2 days old! Is this normal / OK? I called about exchanging it, but they don't have another and I would have to wait a while. And, I need it for a church orchestra convention in Atlanta next week and a jazz band competetion in Louisville in 2 weeks. I don't want to be without my horn and the school's inline Bach is a dog. The compression seems good on the valves, and everything else is perfect - the slide is excellent. Should I take it back and wait or just stop worrying? Any ideas or suggestions?

Marty "spent most of the day fixing valves instead of practicing" Neilan

P.S. To all the gearheads out there, this is the 1062 FDR, using the #2 leadpipe and a Yamaha Yeo mouthpiece.

Follow Ups: