Re: Re: Re: New Old Man's Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Ogden on February 12, 2003 at 15:03:31:

In Reply to: Re: Re: New Old Man's Tuba posted by Rick Denney on February 12, 2003 at 13:11:14:

Hurray for the 20Js! I'm an old Fa*t and my 24J keeps me young!
I agree with Rick and Frank, my 24J takes less effort to create that big rich sound and certainly doesn't suck up the air. Now if you want a "Vacuum Cleaner"...I use my 190 Kaiser Miraphone(.84 bore) on Oktoberfests, mainly for the Teuton look and sound. For obvious reasons..the 20J/24J Conn's just don;t "fit" Leiderhosen. I also find the 24J with a Marc. N3 mouthpiece, is more in tune and easier in the high registers.(.77 bore) Sure the 24J is a bit heavier and ergonomics are not the best, especially with a strap and strolling, but lets face it...it can be convenient when scratching your tummy..HA! I do miss the flexibility of the 1st valve tuning slide on the 24J. Intonation may be one of the reasons the 190 was discontinued. Apost was mentioned a few days back regarding the Canadian Brass. They couldn't be heard in a concert...not practical, of course for them but I'll bet if the tuba had a recording bell it could have been heard. Give your 20J a Big Hug! Jim

Follow Ups: