Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: When things seem to "fall" apart

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Edens on February 12, 2003 at 07:06:25:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: When things seem to "fall" apart posted by ZNC on February 11, 2003 at 14:34:12:

"We have since the '60s gradually raised children to become more "feminized". This is evident through the introduction of drugs such as Ridilin when boys show the first signs of masculinity."
-ZNC

"Ridilin" which is actually RITILAN, and other prescription CNS stimulants, Dexedrine, Adderall, Concerta, etc... are a very effective (and sometimes the only) method of treatment for people who suffer from AD/HD.

AD/HD (Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder) in its true form, (as opposed to a misdiagnosis) can be one of the most frustrating things for children in a scholastic setting. Often, children with particularly bad AD/HD, especially those who are also intellectually gifted, are seen as "strange" or "different" by both fellow students and by teachers. Without a diagnosis, these kids can begin to believe that they are "bad" people, blaming themselves for a chemical imbalance that is out of their physical control. Situations such as this are not what I consider "the first signs of masculinity."

I suffer from an extremely severe case of AD/HD. Had it not been for an early diagnosis, parents who were not (and still are not) afraid to advocate for me, and "Ridilin," I would probably slipped through the cracks of the public school system. As it is now, I am planning on attending UO in the fall as a performance/education major.

I am aware of the fact that AD/HD is overdiagnosed in young boys at an alarming, nearly disgusting rate. However, the "rest of us," meaning those of us who struggle with a very real disorder, continue to be misunderstood by a large portion of society that, in some cases, believes AD/HD to be a scam concocted by drug companies in order to make a buck.

I know that you weren't specifically attacking me in your post, but next time you get on your soapbox, please think before making ignorant blanket statements on topics that you probably know little about.

-John Edens

Follow Ups: