Re: tubas for younger folk

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Phil Lewis on February 11, 2003 at 23:11:44:

In Reply to: tubas for younger folk posted by N. Dwyer on February 11, 2003 at 19:49:11:

I have used both King sousas and 3/4 size tubas, also King. We have never had anything more than 3 valves to work with. Our school district just has never had the money to spring for anything more. I used to have a principal who had played sousaphone in school and swore up and down that nobody needed anything more than a good solid brass sousaphone, on or off the field. To him, fourth valves were unnecessary. Living with reality can sometimes prohibit your choices. These old Kings have held up well and have one overhaul, to date. However, the tubas do not put out much sound unless you have a kid with one healthy set of lungs. I think a tuba stand and good full size horn would certainly be manageable by most kids. I also think that getting them used to the fourth valve early is a good thing. I don't think it's an absolute necessity, but it is certainly desirable if possible. Money may be the deciding factor in some cases, such as mine. In that case, just do the best you can. The Jupiters have had some improvements made in the past couple of years, but they would not be my first choice. Financially, they are probably the most economical. I have not had any experience with Weril. King is a good solid horn. The Bach's I have seen at various district events seem a little ungainly for most Middle Schoolers. However, those that have had them seem to figure out ways to wrangle the beast. Kids can be very creative when they want to. Availability is another key factor. Speak to your local dealer and see what they can do for you. Your dealer can usually get you a pretty good deal and probably offer some form of maintenance. Good luck.
Phil "budget-less" Lewis

Follow Ups: