Re: Since Bydlo came up again...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Good on February 10, 2003 at 00:45:44:

In Reply to: Since Bydlo came up again... posted by Rick Denney on February 09, 2003 at 20:42:27:

I used my Alexander 151G for the solo last week. As far as the reviewer is concerned, he sits way out in the hall and his eyesight may be not up to 100% but I really don't care if this is horn is called a tenor tuba or a euphonium. All I can tell you is that it sounded great and it was money well spent on my part. It's the closest horn that can play "Bydlo" that still has a tuba like quality to the sound for me.

I have no choice here in Dallas. Nobody here in the trombone section wants to play Bydlo so I'm stuck with it. If I had my way, I would never play the solo again. In the past, I always played "Bydlo" on the F tuba but I felt that I could never play the piece loud enough or soft enough with that option. That is why I purchased the 151.

Most students don't realize that in a major symphony orchestra, you only have about two times during rehearsals to play through this piece before you play the first concert. I really wanted to build confidence in myself, the orchestra and the conductor (in this case, Klaus Peter Flor) before the first concert.

And BTW, on opening night, I looked out in our hall and our Music Director was sitting out in the hall. Very unnerving. In the Dallas Symphony, you're a hero for about a week but you're a bum for the rest of your career.

Follow Ups: