Re: Re: Tuba overhaul web page completed

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Daniel C. Oberloh on February 09, 2003 at 15:10:40:

In Reply to: Re: Tuba overhaul web page completed posted by Tom B. on February 08, 2003 at 13:51:19:

I understand your view as I was in the same position when I was a younster wanting to get into the trade. At times I have replaced Mirafone bells because the original was beyond hope. The replacement bells are not finished when they arive at the shop. They still need quite a bit of polishing and clean up and that takes time and shipping cost added will have the cost of the bell alone at $800 in a hurry. There is also the fact that the new bells are heavier gage brass and differant dimention. In my opinion when installed on older tubas, they don't sound as good to my ear as the older 16.53", thinner gage bell. The idea was to demonstrate how it is done. If you are contracted to do a restoration and the maker of an instrument is no longer cranking out the bell you wish to replace, how are you going to deliver the restoration? Unlike the typical auto body shop, I try to be a repair/restoration technician not a parts exchanger. Thanks for your question.

Daniel C. Oberloh

Follow Ups: