Re: Cronkhite gig bags

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on February 09, 2003 at 11:39:07:

In Reply to: Cronkhite gig bags posted by Tubatuba on February 08, 2003 at 23:58:36:

I have a Cronkhite bag for my new King 2341. It has seen only a few weeks of service, so it's hard to judge things like durability - but it appears to be high quality.

Side loader; snap-on pouch for music; zippered pocket under the backpack straps for small items; slightly smallish handle for carrying like a suitcase - backpack straps with oversized shoulder pads; zipper is well protected on the inside (all around) and outside (in critical areas such as the bottom bow).

The one feature I thought was missing is a single-shoulder-strap - but I haven't really needed one.

The one adjustment I've had to make when moving from using a hard case for everything is a system for dealing with the small items: mouthpiece(s), eye glasses, valve oil, tuner, etc. These all live in a separate compartment in the hard case, and neither the music pouch nor the back zippered pocket seemed to provide the right protection (for the items and for the tuba). My solution is to use a small drawstring pouch to collect these items together. It fits in the case compartment, and also seems to fit (out of the way of both the tuba and my back) in the back zippered compartment of the bag. I'm not completely happy with the protection this offers (esp. to the mouthpiece), but it has worked out OK so far.

I suspect that the right solution to this problem is a (padded!) roll-up tool pouch, or a padded stuff sack (like those used to backpack camp stoves), either of which might be stowed inside the bell. Or, simply a well-padded mouthpiece carrier. A more ambitious solution would be to construct a padded insert for the zippered pouch.

For the bottom line, I like Rick Denney's characterization of dent bags: "a handle, not protection". The Cronkhite bag seems to work very well as a handle. Fitting the MTS hard case into my new VW GTI required folding down the rear seats; the Cronkhite case fits into the hatchback area with the rear seats up - so I can provide rides for the flute section.

Follow Ups: