BAT - Dukes of Dixieland v.7 Circus Time

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JoeS on February 08, 2003 at 18:50:52:

OK, I asked a similar question a couple of years ago, and nobody knew, but maybe there is a new crop of readers here:

On the monumental Dukes of Dixieland Audio Fidelity l.p...

a/ first jazz band to record in stereo
b/ at that time, the lowest musical frequency ever recorded on an l.p. ("double-low" F on the tuba)

- What brand and model of BBb B.A.T. appears on the cover?
- Is the picture "correct" (ie. of Barney Mallon)?
- I think I was in contact with Mr. Mallon about the historic "Asleep in the Deep" recording (which penultimately ended with his "double-low" F) via email, but shortly thereafter lost contact with him. Am I correct in remembering that he now lives in Rochester, NY?
- As I think I spoke to him a few years ago, is he still alive?

- sorry to be so fixated on the B.A.T. picture on the album cover, but I guess the main reason is that I am having trouble identifying the make of the instrument. It sort of looks like a Holton, but some stuff looks a little bit different...like maybe a Martin???

One things for sure, if the picture on the cover has the correct tuba/string bass player (Barney Mallon) he is a T-A-L-L guy, because the OBVIOUS B.A.T. that he is standing up and playing in the picture doesn't "overwhelm" him "size-wise" at all.

Joe "who has nearly all of the Assunto's incredible Dukes of Dixieland l.p.'s and wouldn't trade them for any recordings of Mahler 5" S.

Follow Ups: