Re: Re: Bigger is better

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 08, 2003 at 16:09:39:

In Reply to: Re: Bigger is better posted by LV on February 08, 2003 at 10:18:44:

You need not worry. At least one of the stems was a replacement (it is brass and the others are nickel-plated), and it really wouldn't be a problem to make new stems with the original tiny 6-36 thread. And I suspect the buttons (one of which wasn't original) are the same as come on most trumpets.

But I didn't buy the tuba to look at. I bought it to play. Because I don't intend to sell it, it's value as an original collectable is zero to me. Someday I may have to sell it, but I'd bet that usable valve buttons will not lower its value.

When I collected antique clocks, I'd always make them work again. This often required pressing in modern bronze bushings in the plates to restore the holes so that the gears would line up, or finding replacement hands or a dial plate. I keep all the old stuff, but I think it is more respectful to the maker to have the fruit of his labor in use rather than under glass as an "original."

Custom wheels on a car just to make an old heap look fancy strike me as attempting to make a car look better than it is, which brings to my mind the word "gaudy." But I had no problem putting wide wheels on the cars I rebuilt for racing (long ago), because that's what made it work better.

I have an old bicycle that I restored to its original glory with lots of the old Italian componentry, and I do ride it occasionally, if for not other reason to remind myself that it worked elegantly. But it isn't the bike I'd grab for a routine ride. The Holton, on the other hand, is now my daily player.

Rick "who would be hated as a car collector" Denney

Follow Ups: