Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: top ten euphonium excerpts???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Martin on February 07, 2003 at 11:26:37:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: top ten euphonium excerpts??? posted by hey... on February 07, 2003 at 00:09:40:

LOL! Well said(I hope you understand my comments were made with humor in mind) However, most trombone players I have heard play euph excerpts in professional orchestras do not play with the big warm sound that is certainly required for Strauss, while most advanced American euphonium players do. I definately agree that the British sound is not suited to certain orchestral excerpts, but we're not in Britain, many fine euphoniumists are available here in the US who could play these parts. I realize that this may not be financially feasable for an orchestra, but put yourself in the opposite situation: Imagine an orchesta with a full section of 3 euphoniums(God, don't I wish). A solo occurs that is supposed to be played on trombone, wouldn't you want an actual trombone player to play it? Especially if there are plenty of them around? I also play both instruments, but I know that my personal trombone playing sounds more like a slide euphonium these days, I would leave it to someone who is primarily a trombonist. I applaud the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, who recently hired Adam Frey to come in and play the euph part to the Planets, I hope this trend continues!

My .02 cents, all in good spirit
Martin

Follow Ups: