Re: Re: I envy all of you

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on February 06, 2003 at 20:05:12:

In Reply to: Re: I envy all of you posted by Joe Baker on February 06, 2003 at 18:29:30:

Great post Joe!

I just want to disagree with you on one point. This point is something that the original poster touched on, and others in other posts have mentioned lately as well. Your wonderful post finally made it clear to me how to respond.

A common mistake some players make (myself included, once upon a time) is assuming that you work really hard to win an audition and afterwards you relax and coast. The pursuit of excellence in playing is a completely ongoing thing. I know that winning an audition seems like such a daunting task that it might be depressing to imagine that the work is just beginning at this point. Believe me, this is the truth. The amount of improvement I've made in my playing since I won my job makes me wonder how I ever won the job in the first place. Seriously, I can't possibly fathom that the audition committee could overlook some of the problems evident in my playing that day. To continue to play at the level of the professionals around me (all of whom are constantly working to improve their playing as well) makes a continued pursuit of every "edge" onstage one of my highest priorities. That's my disagreement with what you posted: I don't believe you need to play better at the audition than on the job. After winning the job, you need to PROVE on a daily basis that you play that well, and better, to keep your job.

Which is why the extreme focus on the minutiae of playing becomes such a critical thing. Others have asked "Do pros still enjoy playing?". The answer is YES! However, I know that my own personal standards in determining if I had a good performance have changed radically since I won my job. They have gotten much harder to achieve. My colleagues in the orchestra are similarly motivated. As a result, one of the unusual things about an orchestra gig is that you almost never come offstage and hear everybody saying what a good performance that was. It is so difficult to get 81 musicians to all have no slips that it is next to impossible. But when it happens, wow! There's nothing like it. It is precisely why I am in this job.

I don't think the heightened attention to such minor detail keeps me from enjoying my work. It does make it a little harder to be proud and I don't think that's a bad thing. I also think that students trying to win a job do well by themselves to get into those habits now, while they are preparing. It will mean less of an adjustment when they finally get on the job. It will also mean many more truly enjoyable nights after a great concert.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: