Re: double buzz

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andy on February 06, 2003 at 08:49:42:

In Reply to: double buzz posted by frusterated on February 06, 2003 at 00:54:57:

I have had this problem before, too. I developed it when I was doing a lot of high register playing, and the amout of upper register work became out of balance with my overall practice time. I was studying with Mr. Jacobs at the time, and he told me the cause was that I was cutting off the air stream with my tiongue and the lip was being starved for air.

The two things that got my playing back to normal was to reduce the amount of upper register playing (Mr. Jacobs recommendd no more than 10% of one's practice time be spent in the extreme registers, both upper and lower) and use plenty of air. Try and make sure that you are using a thick stream of air by keeping the tongue low in the mouth. Do this by using low vowel sounds, oh, ooh, or ahh, (without vocalizing). Thinking of those syllables (as opposed to eee) will keep the tongue low and out of the way.

Mouthpiece practice is also very helpful in embrochure development, if you use the guidelines above.

Follow Ups: