Re: I envy all of you

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JoeS on February 05, 2003 at 23:01:55:

In Reply to: I envy all of you posted by JIm on February 05, 2003 at 21:43:53:

I only own one tuba that I use regularly (pitched in F) and borrow a large tuba when I get hired to play stuff that might be more fun ("appropriate" ???) to play on a big fat tuba.

I almost never move slides around - except a very small percentage of the time when borrowing the big fat tuba (so, I almost never move slides around). When I DO move slides around (leaving them there for just a bit) it is to play certain pieces of music with CERTAIN exposed very low pitches in CERTAIN keys, because - well, if I can hear that those exposed very loud low notes are 25% sharp (or 25% flat, etc.) I can only assume that others can hear a problem also.

I think that, particularly with very low notes on tubas, most of the time if a player is within 8% of in tune, it sounds just fine to nearly all listeners - including other professional musicians. I strive to stay closer to "the center" than within 8%, but hey, its a tuba - not a computer...and (at least the last time I looked) I'm not a god.

It is very clear to me how much you miss playing. I can't imagine. As to the "pretenders" and those who can actually are working very hard to approach their ideal, allow them their indulgences.

Incidentally, I believe that it is widely accepted on this bbs that Miraphone tubas are one of very few brands that mostly play within that "8%" range without any extraordinary efforts (like slide pulling). When I've owned various Miraphone tubas over the years, it never occurred to me to install slide manipulating gadgets either.

Could you re-engage with the tuba by, perhaps, writing arrangements for brass quintets or tuba quartets?

Follow Ups: