Re: Re: Willson 3050S Market?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 05, 2003 at 13:06:54:

In Reply to: Re: Willson 3050S Market? posted by tipster on February 04, 2003 at 13:47:25:

I think this method works great for instruments in common supply, and in the sort of price range normally freely tolerated on ebay. But I'm not sure that a Willson 3050 meets either one of these qualifications.

For one thing, a 3050 is a high-end professional instrument, and top pros don't shop for such instruments on an auction service. I'm no pro, but I did just buy a tuba that was by my standards expensive. I would not have dreamed of paying that for a tuba on an auction service, because of the added hassle of dealing with it if it is not a good player. In the price range of a Willson, a player will want either to travel to the seller to try it out, or he will at least want the recommendation of a trusted seller.

I also would not pay such sums using one of the credit-card go-betweens on the auction services, because they do not offer the same level of protection that I get from the credit-card company when it is used directly. So, if I buy an instrument over the phone from Mid-South, and you send me a boat anchor, I can challenge it with the credit-card company because you take credit cards directly. When going through a go-between, however, the protections are far more limited, because what you bought with your credit card was the go-between service, not the item. I'll still use it, but only within a limit of tolerable loss.

Finally, I believe that high-end anythings are most effectively sold by trusted sellers, who act more as a broker than a payment processor. The most trusted companies who sell high-end tubas on consignment are run by tuba players or other established musicians who have earned the trust of their customers. When I read Dave Fedderly's ad for the Holton, which said that it "PLAYS GREAT!", I was far more inclined to believe it than if I'd seen it on an auction ad. When Dave sold his most recent batch of York conversions, I'm sure (but I don't know) that he got on the phone to friends of his around the world who had expressed interest in such instruments to him. Thus, he is more of a broker than a salesman, and at this price point a buyer expects that level of service.

Auctions are risky, and they favor the bold who have sufficient cash reserves to manage the risk. That degree of boldness and resources limits the market significantly.

Rick "who has bought three instruments at auction and sold one--all for under $1000" Denney

Follow Ups: