Re: Sightreading question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark on February 03, 2003 at 12:37:26:

In Reply to: Sightreading question posted by anon on February 02, 2003 at 23:07:38:

In a professional audition, you need to read at tempo. In some cases you will be given the tempo, in others, you will determine the tempo yourself by interpeting what is marked on the sheet music. Either way, you are expected to read the piece as it would be performed. In my experience being on audition committees, auditionees who failed to read at speed where either asked to read it again at tempo if they played very well prior, or it was just another reason to move on the next person. I encourage you to read at tempo in practice and in auditions.

For All-District and college auditions, you may vary tempo some to better perform the piece. Everything is important, but the most important thing is to play the correct rhythm. Notes are important, musicality is extremely important, but if you don't play the correct rhythm nothing else will make sense. You may receive a higher score by chosing to play something at a slower speed and being more accurate and musical. But too much tempo change will change the nature of the piece, so be smart.

I hope any of this helps.

Mark

Follow Ups: