Re: To buzz, or not to buzz

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave Zerkel on March 02, 2002 at 09:13:51:

In Reply to: To buzz, or not to buzz posted by Kenneth Sloan on February 28, 2002 at 08:43:11:

Hi Kenneth.

My rule of thumb is that AIR makes the lips vibrate.

I always try to think of having no more tension in my lips than the "MMMM" sound produces. If you free-buzz, you are closer to making the "PPP" sound. To this end, when I demonstrate in a lesson what is going on with my air, I never produce a buzzy sound with my lips as I am blowing. The "buzz" happens when resistance is introduced in the form of the mouthpiece. Is it harder to buzz tunes or licks this way? You bet it is! But the sound that is produced on the instrument will be better for your efforts.

I always marvel at players who are great at buzzing. Pat Sheridan sounds like a big instrument on his mouthpiece. I always resisted mouthpiece practice for two reasons: 1.) I was really bad at it the slacker in me is exposed!), and 2.) I felt like I made a pretty good sound in spite of the fact that I was bad at it. Only recently have I fallen into the fold and really found that there is GREAT benefit in mouthpiece practice. After all, could ALL of my teachers been wrong?! :)

I always tell my students "If you can play it on the mouthpiece, you can play it on the instrument." But, it's important to keep the right principles in place to produce the buzz! I can by no means do everything on the mouthpiece that I can do an the horn, but it's a goal for me to strive for!

Good luck!

DZ

Follow Ups: