Re: 52J vs. CCC vs. MW2145.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark McMahon on March 01, 2002 at 12:25:59:

In Reply to: 52J vs. CCC vs. MW2145. posted by Curious in NW FL. on February 28, 2002 at 17:48:27:

I love my Meinl Weston 2145. I feel that it has a more responsive, more freely resonant low register than the CCC. Then again; I have seen posts by Jay Bertolet saying that he prefers the CCC and feels that the CCC has the better low end. To each his own...

However, I do NOT like the Conns 52J or 56J. I have played on several different horns of both nomenclatures and felt uncomfortable with all of them. I felt that their intonation was suspect, and I thought the low register on those horns was VERY thin.

Again, I am most pleased with my 2145. I use it with a PT-88 mouthpiece for almost everything I do. I have made some small alterations to it (dillon AGR, cut 5th valve slide, and removed some solder blobs). With the alterations my horn does play slightly differently than other "stock" 2145's, but I think the untouched 2145 is still a good axe....at a GREAT price. I wouldn't trade mine for any 4/4 hirsbrunner in the world!

MOST IMPORTANT TO CONSIDER:
1) Every make and model has some dogs out there.
2) NEVER EVER trust another man's opinion on a horn!

-Mark McMahon

Follow Ups: