Re: Re: OVERWEIGHT LUGGAGE FEES

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by F Tubist on February 28, 2002 at 11:22:53:

In Reply to: Re: OVERWEIGHT LUGGAGE FEES posted by Janne on February 27, 2002 at 07:02:26:

As it has been stated below, I feel there is no way the FAA or IATA or any individual airline is going to work some sort of deal with TUBA (I voted against ITEA). There has BARELY been any headway with the AFM (a far, far larger organization than TUBA, with ties to the AFL-CIO) trying to get smaller instruments approved as carry-ons. Even with a US Senator behind the bill, the final call on whether to allow an instrument onboard remains with the gate personnel and flight attendants.

Personally, I fly frequently with a Yamaha YFB 822 in a Walt Johnson medium case. It's UNDER the weight restriction, and while it's probably over the size restriction, I have never paid oversize fees for it. I generally try to check it with a skycap and slip them $10, but I've always had good luck at the counter as well. It's nice to dream about special dispensations for traveling musicians, but in the meantime, either get a hard case that conforms to weight and size restrictions, or budget extra for oversize fees.

Follow Ups: