Practice, what about structure #2

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brandon Ostrom on February 27, 2002 at 12:25:43:

Thankx for all of your helpful info. I have taken all of it in and im working on a reformated version of practicing. Im getting better at focusing on things. Ive divided up my time into something of what some of you suggested. I now work on 3-4 pieces to perfection, when site read the pants off many other pieces, all from this crazy 20 year old bflat,eflat tuba, piano book. Im really glad i found that book, as it has many piece far over the difficulty level ive presented myself with thus far.

For those of you who read the last post, and had questions about what I use a collection of pieces to play. I work on

J.S. Bach complete suites for solo cello (1.1-6.6)
Arbans complete method for tuba
Rubank concert solos for bflat,eflat tuba
Rubank method for bass trombone
various studies i stole off the internet for free

I sort of dance all around these (though i really like the cello suites)

I dont have a private teacher, though i am trying to secure one (this has been going on for 2 months)

I am currently being sort of taught by my music teacher who is the head of my high school music dept. (though many have their doubts about high school music teachers, this man can play the Euphonium like a god, and can sight sing any piece of music i give to him, and he has perfect pitch to boot)

But considering i am quite below his level, he has been reluctant to teach me, although i recently conned him into it.

I am greatful for even the half hour he spends with me a week. In only that short period of time i found out many, many things that i had been doing wrong. And thought i prefer to teach myself, I can see that having a teacher has its strong bonuses)

So, i am better off then i was before, considering that now i think back at it, i was realy wasting a great deal of my time up there. Thanks to whoever made the one post, saying something like ¨dont just be putting in hours¨. Which has been what ive been doing lately. Hopefully i can get better. Rock on

Brandon ¨who hands are christmas green most of the time,and has an almost constant lip ring from the mouthpiece ¨ Ostrom

Follow Ups: