Re: Re: Practice Practice. What about structure?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shaun on February 26, 2002 at 21:57:14:

In Reply to: Re: Practice Practice. What about structure? posted by Daniel Bradley on February 25, 2002 at 14:00:08:

I have to agree with Dan here. I remember a former conductor of mine talking about how Barry Tuckwell (horn soloist) would only play for an hour each day (when he was in his prime) and get all that he needed done and that was when he was one of the better brass players on the planet. To each his own. When you get older you can (and need) to get more stuff done in less time. Due to health reasons I had to take over 6 months off from playing. I've been playing a few weeks and I've exceeded my playing abiltiy when I was 'at my best' before I had to lay off the horn. A lot of it is in the head. Since I couldn't play during that 6 months I just focused on making my listening skils better and it has payed off tremendously. If you know what you want to play and how to sound, you can do it. But I'm not too sure everyone is hearing things at a very high level, hense all the ridiculous posts supporting the old CSO low brass I saw some time ago in these, the hallowed halls of the TUBENET. When you hear what you need to do, you can do it, if not, even if you play 6 hours a day, you may just be practicing the wrong way.

Shaun

Follow Ups: