My Experience this morning

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Arnold on February 22, 2002 at 12:42:47:

Hello All,
Without being slanderous, I would like to vent/bring humor to the situation and drum up your experiences. This morning in an orchestra rehearsal with a very prominent composer/conductor we had a first reading of his piece. In one place I had to play a low F# at FFF, two whole notes tied at around 60 beats per minute. The first time I played it he stops and then says "Play louder, most Tuba players love to play loud." It was more condescending than it sounds in print. Then the next time he stops and says "Principle bass play a low F#, Tuba play it." Then he stops us and says "You are really flat." So I pushed in my slide all the way when he asked me to play it again. Then he says "Well which one are you going to play?" So I played again with the slide all the way in, really loud. I guess the point I am after is, do conductors really think they will get the most out of us by insulting everyone they possibly can. It wasn't just a beef with me. He was all over everyone the entire rehearsal. At one point he says "That WILL be in tune at the next rehearsal." What are your thoughts on this folks? What have you been through in this department? Thanks for letting me vent, I am obviously have more tact and intelligence than to say anything directly to him other than yes, sir. Take care,
Arnold

Follow Ups: