Re: What Mouthpiece and Why.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marty Neilan on February 22, 2002 at 00:53:42:

In Reply to: What Mouthpiece and Why. posted by Tracy B. on February 21, 2002 at 11:45:06:

The Warburton-Neilan, of course!! It is a (very) heavyweight mouthpiece with a fairly large helleberg style cup and a rounded rim. I have had blind comparisons to several other mouthpieces on my Mirafone 1290 and it wins every time. It gives the right balance of fundamental and overtones, producing a commanding sound with strong attacks and plenty of core that projects well. Not too dark, not too bright. The rim has a large inside diameter and the curvature of it is very comfortable and functional for my particular face, although some who have tried it did not care for the rim.
For those who must know, the cup and backbore are similar to the Arnold Jacobs mouthpiece (can I say that here?) and the rim is similar to a Mirafone C4.
Yes, the added weight does seem to make a noticeably positive difference on my particular horn, vs similar lighter weight mouthpieces I have tried including the original Canadian Brass Arnold Jacobs mouthpiece.
I have one in regular shank and one in large shank, both fit my horn and give slightly different results. I use the regular shank one most of the time.
There is a picture of it on my website.
An interesting observation per Rick Denney, the mouthpiece is digital (representing a square waveform on the outside as oppossed to 'analog' curved).

Follow Ups: