Re: Mexican Tubas?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doc on February 22, 2002 at 00:15:09:

In Reply to: Mexican Tubas? posted by nick de carlo on February 20, 2002 at 19:29:07:

Nick,

Here in South Texas, there are a great many Tejano/Conjunto radio stations that play everything from top-40 Tejano to Mariachi. The style to which you refer, I'm quite sure, can be heard in CA. It is heard everywhere here, as the Hispanic population is quite large, as in CA. You live somewhere where there is a market for this music, so I bet you can find some stations, then find recordings. Listen to all the styles, and maybe create your own. They are all similar, but the banda style stands out. Of course, being a tuba player, I am biased. On the side, I frequently play Czech/German music, as Rick mentioned. There are many more similarities than differences with banda music. I'm as square-headed German as they come, but I really like the music of which you speak. There are all different styles of Czech/German music from all over the country/world. There are many different styles right here in Texas. The same is true for Hispanic music. Different regions in Mexico, the U.S., etc. Listen to a lot and do your best. Playing and listening are the best things you can do to learn your way along. !Viva la musica banda!

Follow Ups: