Re: Euphonium preferences

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brandon Jones on February 20, 2002 at 16:15:17:

In Reply to: Euphonium preferences posted by James on February 20, 2002 at 15:50:59:

It depends on what you're looking for. For best overall, I prefer the Besson Prestige. There are no limits to what you can do on it and the valves are some of the best, if not THE best on the market. The sound is almost "vocal-like", which is what I prefer. As far as deep, dark sounds that project well, the Willson 2900 is your best bet there. The Yamaha's have great intonation and ease of playing, but I don't like the sound too much. Too "machine-like" instead of the natural "cantabile" feeling and sound texture. The best thing for you to do is play on these fine euphoniums and decide for yourself. The Willson is a bit heavier of a horn and tends to be extremely deep sounding (sometimes too deep) and the response in the extreme low registers isn't the greatest. As far as response, the Prestige and Yamaha all the way. All three have great valve action as well. It's up to you! I hope I can help though. I hope you find the right horn for you!

Follow Ups: