Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Your favorite tuba solo in the movies

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by A Guy in Virginia on February 20, 2002 at 11:10:01:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Your favorite tuba solo in the movies posted by callmeapple on February 20, 2002 at 01:44:46:

No offense, but as a resident of the real world, let me try to correct you as gently as I can.

The difference between those who succeed and those who just have jobs lies in their ability to express their ideas and persuade people. That means that they don't distract their readers by misspelling words or making obvious errors of grammar. I see it all the time. Even in resumes, I see evidence of language incompetence.

I have heard countless musical artists interviewed, and one uniform characteristic they possess is excellent verbal skill.

That doesn't mean we should come down on people for normal typos on a forum like this, where speed in typing is needed to get a message in on a thread like this before Sean banishes it to Cybervoid.

Anyone with college training (and a university is just a confederation of colleges, in its classic form, ala Oxford) should be able to express themselves using language, and without resorting to ad hominem attacks. That ability is the only thing that disinguishes me from many of my colleagues, and I think my own skills reach mere competence.

I'm not coming down on you for your typos (I make too many of my own to do that), but rather I'm responding to your expressed notion that it doesn't matter in the real world. It does.

Follow Ups: