Re: horn for college?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by bobba on February 19, 2002 at 00:22:57:

In Reply to: horn for college? posted by me on February 18, 2002 at 22:28:44:

I am not the type of person to tell someone which type of horn he/she should play but may I offer the following. I was once a college tuba student who started my journey with a 186 bflat mirafone. This was a great horn and it worked with any ensemble I was called on to play in. I was then swept into the CC revolution and I bought a PT3 which again was a great horn under all conditions. I finally switch to a 5/4 Rudy Meinel and once agian the horn was great. I say all the above to say this...After college I no longer need the big 5/4 horn I lug around. I am a full time musician and I get paid to play but the 5/4 is to much horn. IF you know you will play in an orchestra (who really does?) then get a big horn. I would advise buying the horn that you feel is best for what you want to do.

Also,
Your assumption about colleges providing horn is probably just that. I know hundreds of ex tuba majors and none of them where provided a horn while in school. My school did have one but it was a 30's model with a recording bell and three bells. This horn was more a art piece than an instrument.

Follow Ups: