Re: Low end on a Rudy Meinl CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sam Gnagey on February 17, 2002 at 09:12:07:

In Reply to: Low end on a Rudy Meinl CC posted by Kurt on February 17, 2002 at 00:53:30:

Here are a few things that have helped open up the low register on my 5/4 Rudy:

1) I use a leather belt around the bell just below the trademark.
2) There is a clear plastic rim protector.
3) I've fashioned an adapter that sets the mouthpiece out from the receiver about 1/2".
4) I use a Marcinkiewicz N4 mouthpiece.

The best part about all of these modifications is that they are inexpensive and reversable. The adapter is made from a Conn Sousaphone bit that I cut off just before it makes the bend. With a little dressing with a file it fits into the Rudy receiver very nicely. The N4 has a rather shallow cup and narrow throat which helps put a little more resistance into the flow. Lots of players think that they don't want resistance, but I feel it is beneficial in focusing the sound and controling pitch on the large bore instruments. Some of the old Mirafon mouthpieces have pretty much the same configuration as the N4. Try a C3 or C4 if you have one of those. Damping the bell helps a lot with the focus and projection of the sound.

Sorry to say that I don't have any experience with the cryo treatment. Although I have left my tuba in the car when it got below zero a few times;-).

Follow Ups: