Re: Re: Has anyone played...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom B. on February 16, 2002 at 16:02:56:

In Reply to: Re: Has anyone played... posted by Doug on February 16, 2002 at 13:42:32:

Here is a pic of the "Noel" album cover. It was the largest pic I could find, but it is quite small, so the changes to the tuba are hard to see.

However, this horn and the CB-52 are not the same thing. The horn on the "Noel" album cover, and the one played by Chuck is neither a CB-52 or a CB-50...it is a "one-off" custom horn.

With all of the standing and dancing around the CB does on stage, and with the type of music they generally play, Chuck decided that he didn't need the 5th valve. So, when he had this horn built for him, he asked that the 5th valve be removed. I've also heard stories that that he had the 5th valve built so that it was removable, but I don't believe that was the case with this particular horn.

The wrap of the horn is also very different from the production line CB-50s and G-50s. Chucks horn has a much more "open" wrap with an ususual slide configuration.

This horn was for sale a Dillon's a while back and I believe sold for something like $4995.

Follow Ups: